Coconut Curry Sweet Potato Chowder
This product is currently sold out.
Creamy and rich coconut curry soup with sweet potatoes. Subtly sweet, spicy, and totally comforting!
YIELD: 7.5 cups (5 servings)
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, white and light green parts sliced, and tops sliced and reserved for garnish
- 5 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used brown rice flour)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large soup pot. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sliced green onion (the white and light green portions) and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Pour in the remaining vegetables, and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes
- Pour in the coconut milk, spices, remaining salt to taste, and lime juice. Pour in the water, reserving a few tablespoons. Whisk the flour into the remaining water, and pour into the soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Top with he remaining sliced green onions (the dark green tops).
Feel free to use 2 cans of light coconut milk if you'd like to lower the fat in the recipe. I like the creaminess that a can of full-fat adds to the base, but light would work fine.
Source: Veggie and the Beast