4-MBC? OD-PABA? OMC? Check what's in YOUR suncream?
This product is currently sold out.
We buy sun lotions because we want to protect ourselves and our families from potentially harmful rays from the sun however many of the sun lotions we buy on the high street are not what they appear to be.
Chemical sunscreens contain many harmful ingredients which put our bodies at risk making them susceptible to permanent damage. The UV neutralising agents can ultimately become carcinogenic and therefore increase the risk of developing cancer as well as altering hormone levels by disrupting the endocrine system.
The main chemicals you should try to avoid when choosing your sunscreen are:
- 4-methy-benzyldencamphor (4-MBC)
- Octyl-methoyl-cinnamates (OMC)
- Octyl-dimethyl-para-amin-benzoic Acid (OD-PABA)
- Homosalate (HMS)
When choosing a sun lotion follow this guide:
- Always check the ingredients.
- The only two minerals which should be “active” ingredients are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Of these two it is thought that zinc is better than titanium.
- If you can find out about nano particles, do so. Non-nano is better.
- Some sort of antioxidant should be included (Vitamin E, aka Tocopheryl acetate, green tea, etc.)
- Check that there is no retinyl palmitate (synthetic Vitamin A).
- Check that there are no parabens, synthetic or unlabelled “fragrances” – which also applies to all beauty products you buy!
On EcoLifeGlobal.com we stock a range of natural sun lotions which contain more natural ingredients and without the nasties! We test all the products ourselves to check that they are really good for you and that they work! We also feature all our customers’ reviews online so you can see what other people think before you buy! This summer make sure you switch to natural sun care products to protect you and your family.
Visit our sun care page here.
Article written by Sebastian Curtis